Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kak Anim

Aurora is not feeling well. Her fever has been lasting for 4 days already. After she took medicine ( an almost impossible task ) her fever dropped a bit but not even 4 hours later it came back. I am worried what would happen if I have to go back to work on Tuesday, have to leave her with the father since I had taken a day off last Friday. So we went to a kampong 10 km away to seek help from a regular village midwife. She did some jampi and massaged Aurora's small stomach a bit. She said it was full of wind. True because Aurora does not eat well these last few days.

Later, we dropped by Kak Anim's house not far away from there. Just to visit her and to see if she is alright. She is renting a small shabby 1 room quaters behind the local mosque. The husband was  away working, and there were some of her daughters at home making kuih raya. Actually Kak Anim used to be my gardener in my old office but even after I transfered to my new workplace I keep on contact because she is very dear to me especially after Aurora was born. She was the first to hold Aurora after she was delivered. She has no blood connection with us  but she is closer to me more than my own siblings. She has been very kind to me, to my kids and be a loving and caring  opah to Aurora.

She is not well, having fever more than a week. Still, she has to work. At her age she is supposed to rest at home, not working hard like now. She even takes small wages building or renovating house after finish working in the afternoon, still continue working even until late at night. I pity her..she is an old lady but has a strong will and determination to bring up her children until all of them finish school and some go to university.
However, I think it is high time for her to let the children take care of her and not the other way round. Sometimes, it irritates me seeing the her children never stop depending money wise on her. They  are supposed to let her relax and do something for her in return of all her hard work. She really wants to have her own house..if only I have a lot of money, I will build one for her.

I didn't stay long during our visit. I bought some tempeyek from her and gave her some money for Hari Raya coming soon. She cried..I cried. That money is not much to be compared to her kindness to us. It worths more to me..

Money is important, however kindness is invaluable.


 

1 comment:

  1. That is the best way we can help people like kak anim. kadang-kadang orang sepertinya tidak akan mudah menerima wang tanpa sebarang pertukaran 'material' kerana mereka tahu nilai wang dan titik peluh, so what we can do is beli barang mereka dan bagi wang lebih. masa arwah masak saya dulu pun ada sorang makcik yang dia suka beli barang, beli lidi penyapu yang dijual makcik tu...sebab kalau nak bagi duit saja makcik tu x nak....:)

    ReplyDelete